Saturday, December 02, 2006

Bird guest


So this morning was a typical Saturday morning. Ethan woke up early and wanted to watch TV. So Darren, being the good dad he is, took Ethan downstairs and put Bugs Life on for him. Then he came back to bed. A little while later we heard him screaming at the top of his lungs. I was afraid he had thrown up since Jake had been doing that all day Friday. When I got down there he looked terrified and said "There's a bird in our house!" I believed him because that's an odd thing to make up but I didn't see a bird. So I was trying to get him to tell me where it went when, all of a sudden, a bird came flying into the family room. I screamed. It was scared and kept flying back and forth between the rooms downstairs. We didn't dare try to go upstairs because that's where the bird was. So I called Darren on the intercom on our phone. I don't know what he was expecting me to say when he answered but it wasn't, "There's a bird down here." He said calmly, "That's wierd" and then came down to check it out. Turns out it was Northern Flicker (woodpecker). He got it to go upstairs and then managed to pin it up against the kitchen window with the tray to the highchair and caught it. When it was safely out of the house our morning returned back to normal. I don't know what I would have done if Darren hadn't been there. My knight in shining armour. I'm sure my mom will appreciate this story.

9 comments:

Susan said...

By the way, we found out he came down the chimney.

Carrie said...

that's so funny! I remember when a bird flew into mom and dad's house. It perched on the ceiling fan, so we turned on the fan, and he just took a little ride around and around! What a fun morning! Definitely blog-worthy!!!

Mary Ann said...

at least it wasn't a bat

Delene said...

Birds, bats anything that flies in your house is horrible! There are advantages to making a fire!

Rose said...

Poor Ethan. He was probably so scared.

Carl and Pat said...

Probably the poor bird knew there were bird watchers there and thought he would be welcome! How ironic that he did choose your house! So glad we raised a true knight in shing armor!

Tracie said...

Ahhhh......I love it!!!

Sally said...

awesome story!

Julian said...

That's Funny