Monday, August 13, 2007

Doorknob

Darren was on a photo trip for the past 5 days and it seems whenever he goes anywhere for a length of time something goes wrong at home. This time was no exception. Jacob and Ethan were in my room and had shut the door. I went to open the door and it was locked. We haven't been able to get the door to lock for several months now. I don't know what trick the boys used but it was a good one. I told Ethan to unlock and tried to talk him through it but he couldn't make it work. So I proceeded to take off the door knob. That is something that I've had to do before and it was easy. But this time I couldn't get it off. Kevin was trying to help but I felt like he was getting in the way more than anything else. After a half hour of this, Ethan was starting to freak out and had to go to the bathroom. I tried pushing a pull-up under the door and told him to put it on but he wouldn't do that. Kevin disappeared for a few minutes and then came back. We had gotten the actual doorknob off -- it was the inside of the doorknob that wouldn't come out. Kevin did something and out it came. I guess I won't doubt him anymore. He said he went downstairs to the other doorknob that has just the inside showing with no outside knob and watched how it worked. Then he came upstairs and tried it on that one and it worked. Maybe he'll be my fix it guy. By that time the old door knob was ruined so I went and bought another one and installed it. I had to drill a little bigger hole so the picture below is of me being a handywoman.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go Susan! Nice. Carl

Tracie said...

Wow! kids are so smart! I wonder what Kevin will be when he grows up? Nice work with the installation!!

Carrie said...

I love that story!! Kevin is so smart, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have thought to do that.
Here's a big question: Did Ethan have an accident? :)

Susan said...

No accident, thank goodness!

Slade said...

I'm glad you're smiling while drilling out a door for a new knob.

Funny story...happy ending.

Delene said...

You need to sign up for HGTV and be the new "Fix-it-woman" star! Way to be helpful, Kevin!

Mary Ann said...

you must watch the tool belt diva show. if not check it out.

Indiana Clark's said...

Way to go Kevin! That was really smart thinking, especially under pressure!

Rose said...

Kevin is a smart kid. And, I'm impressed that you didn't wait for Darren to come home to install the new doorknob.