Sunday, September 23, 2007

Plums and Jam Saturday

Saturday for us started out with picking plums. It was a whole family activity with Darren, myself, Kevin, and Ethan picking plums and Jacob taking them out of the bucket. Most of them were too high for the boys, even when standing on the ladder, so Darren and I did most of the work. But they had fun. At the end there were one and a half large buckets full of plums.



















The boys picking plums while Jake watches.















Darren's photo of the plums after they were picked.
















After the picking was done it was all me. I made raspberry plum jam and didn't finish until 9:30 pm. Okay, I didn't start right after they were picked. And I did stop in the middle to take a nap, fix meals, go to the video store etc. But it sounds good to say I worked all day. I also made a big mess, as you can kind of see in the picture.















Darren's picture of the jam in the pot. This is only the plums and sugar. It's a much prettier color after you add the raspberries and raspberry Jell-O.















Finished bottles of jam and mess not cleaned up yet. I was still making another batch. And notice there are still two bowls of plums left. If anyone wants them in the next day or two you are welcome to them but you will have to come and get them yourself :-).

8 comments:

Delene said...

You can't make jam without a mess...no matter what you do! It sure is yummy jam thought. Thank Grandma Lyman for the receipt. I have lots of plumbs on my tree. Bring the boys down and they can help Grandpa pick mine! Anyone want plumbs? We will never use all that's on the tree.

Delene said...

I spelled though wrong...sorry!

Tracie said...

You could just freeze the plumbs, and then if you feel like heating up your house in the wintertime, you can make another batch of jam or something.

Anonymous said...

I wish we were closer--we would have taken them off your hands. Carl bought a large container of plums at Costco, then came home and made a batch of jam using Splenda. It was good, but not as good as if we had had plums like you have. His mother used to make plum jam, and he was determined to duplicate it...I remember how wonderful your plum/raspberry jam is. Good girl!!

Carrie said...

I have a sudden craving for plum/raspberry jam. . .
Hey Susan, thanks for mailing me the newspaper article on that ebay mom. That's so funny that you found that! I still read her blog every day, she is hysterical!

Rose said...

Good job on the jam! We have lots of peaches on our tree if anyone wants them. I love peach jam, but I don't know if I will find the time to make it this year.

Curtis and Shandy said...

Good job, I always just stick with the frozen jam, its easier.

Mary Ann said...

good job susan.